DIRECTOR OF ECOMMERCE
Nixon is California’s iconic watch and accessories brand, born from action sports culture and always pushing the never been done. As a company we are creative, we are ambitious, we take risks. Above all, we want to build great products with the world’s youth as our audience. We collaborate with the best in the business: brands, athletes, retailers, causes. People who share our mindset and our belief that we can make an impact, one detail at a time.
We are proud of more than 20+ years of history, our roots and heritage while steadily aspiring to rise to new horizons, develop and grow our brand and team of ridiculously talented individuals further. Working for Nixon means being part of an international, dynamic, and passionate group of people, multi-lingual, multi-channel and multi-category. We are as diverse as the environment we operate in, stretching all the way from our origins in the action sports industry up to the lifestyle market, electronics, and premium watchmaking. We believe that passion drives performance and that perfection comes from always giving your best. We care about the little things, while thinking big.
The Director of eCommerce manages the core components that allow for an amazing experience online for Nixon customers coming from across channels, globally. This includes helping to plan the business globally in financial terms, enabling efficient on-site transactions, overseeing the journey that leads Nixon’s consumer toward purchase across regions, roadmapping future enhancements and reporting results regularly back to the Executive Team.
They oversee site management (content schedules, season launches, asset placement and validation, etc) and SEO management (including content) for the brand making for an easily found site within organic channels and a simple, modern and high-converting experience once the customer arrives. They also work closely with Customer Service to help enable a seamless service experience from purchase to post-purchase, warranty and repair information and empowering teams with user-feedback and user-generated content.
As a leader within a fast-paced, growing DTC team, this position is highly cross-functional and requires a special individual capable of planning at a strategic level and, in parallel executing tactical tasks day in and day out including content planning, UX/UI design input, assisting assortment planning, reporting at a detailed and executive-ready level, and forecasting future sales/planning promotional activity. Given the highly technical nature of eCommerce, the Director eCommerce requires an understanding of the flow of digital commerce to work in conjunction with the Operations team, Merchandising team, Creative Studio, Digital Marketing team and more.
Key Functions and Responsibilities:
- Working with the Studio to create brand-appropriate and compelling content
- Driving calendar alignment and content “slot planning” in conjunction with brand marketing, digital marketing, customer service and wholesale as well as GTM calendars
- Assisting as needed to bring a direct-to-consumer print catalog to market seasonally
- Collaborating cross-functionally on improving the on-site user experience by prioritizing, roadmapping and resource planning including but not limited to:
- UX enhancements
- Landing page planning, SEO focused and GTM aligned, globally
- SEO program ownership
- On-site search tuning working closely with the eCommerce Merchant(s)
- ADA compliance
- Privacy compliance (GDPR, CCPA, etc)
- Aligning with Customer Service re: on-site service experiences
- Site speed performance working closely with the Development team
- A/B and User testing program planning and executive to drive conversion
- Vendor/3rd party tool management
- Consulting with the development team or outside agencies on scoping the various enhancements, tools and site utilities to improve conversion or interaction
- Budget and expense forecasting working with Digital Marketing and/or Executive Team
- Owning the daily forecasts and adjusting according to promotional cadence and season
- Assisting with development sprint planning
- Promotional planning, calendaring and Exec signoff - full ownership
- Marketplace strategic input
- Participation in leadership areas of the business as a key representative from the DTC team and a cross-functional voice of customer
Thought Leadership, Collaboration and Planning:
- Collaborating with product, merchandising & inventory planning teams regarding:
- Taxonomy, categorization, navigation
- Cross-selling and technologies
- Assortment planning for optimal shopping experience
- Planning and calendaring all content for monthly (or more!) and seasonal site updates to the detail of category/page/content slot
- Working with the broader direct to consumer team as a contributing member to determine promotional content and omnichannel cross-over
- Creating daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly dashboards and/or reporting on site performance including eCommerce KPIs, performance, A/B test results, heat maps, etc.
- Communicate globally regarding content and product releases as well as special project and interactive planning
- Works closely with the global Marketplace Manager across regions and markets to determine the prioritization and business drivers within marketplaces
The Director of eCommerce is not directly responsible for driving traffic (digital marketing), servicing customers via phone (end-customer support), or coding experiences (code development), however the position is extremely closely aligned with these cross-functional job functions. Communication, planning and partnerships are critical to the success of this role as well as a can-do attitude and a cheery disposition in the face of the numerous challenges of working in the “octopus” that is eCommerce.
- Knowledgeable of the development of seasonal GTM strategies. Collaborate with marketing colleagues to bring seasonal stories to life
- Supports wholesale and collaborates on promotions to make sure that Nixon customer have a seamless digital experience regarding of their final purchase channel
- Manages multiple employees within the department, responsible for hiring and performance management, including but not limited to site management functions and SEO experts
- 5+ years’ experience with digital and/or eCommerce with progressive levels of responsibility
- 5+ years managing digital vendors, budgeting, expense management and planning
- Proven experience managing and building teams and establishing team culture to create fun, engaging and high performance employees
- Attention to detail and accuracy for project execution. Ability to manage and prioritize against aggressive deadlines
- Ability to operate with a customer-focused approach to business practices
- Experience collaborating with tenured digital Directors and Managers – ability to share, delegate and establish trusting working relationships
- Proficient with MS Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook)
- Strong knowledge and understanding of the roles and limits of web technologies
- Knowledge of eCommerce platforms for enterprise level websites – Shopify Plus is a bonus
- Proficiency in Google Analytics or similar metrics-measurement platform(s)
- Understanding of UX best practices
- Team building and team formation
- Familiarity with A/B Testing and real-time User Testing including program development and performance measurement – Dynamic Yield is a bonus
- Strong project management skills
- Strong collaboration skills and trust/delegation capability
- Solid understanding of brand and customer journey online
- Strong organizational, time management, and prioritizing skills
- Strong written, verbal and presentation skills
- Ability to drive projects in a complex multi-stakeholder environment
- Results-driven, goal-oriented
- Problem solving, critical thinking
- Organized, detail-oriented
- Flexibility and adaptability to work with changing priorities, evolving responsibilities and scope of work in a rapidly growing company
- Team-oriented and collaborative
- ffective interpersonal skills
Come join the Nixon Team! Please send your resume to email@example.com and include Director of eCommerce in the subject line.
This position is in Carlsbad, CA, USA. Due to the volume of resumes we cannot respond to everyone personally, but we do thank you for your interest and for reaching out to Nixon. Please, no phone calls. Thank you!